The ISO 14000 family Standards present practical tools used by organizations for designing and implementing effective way to manage their Environmental Management System (EMS) responsibilities.
ISO 14001 does not dictate environmental performance requirements to company or organization but showing them a framework that enable them to set up an effective EMS.
The Environmental Management Standard focus on precise approaches which helps any organization that wants to improve resource efficiency, reduce costs and reduce waste as well as environmental challenges such as climate change.
The EMS could be integrated with other management functions given assurance to company management, employees and shareholders that environmental impact is being measured and improved, assists in meeting their environmental and economic goals.
ISO 14001:2015 is the new version applicable to organization regardless of size, type and nature focuses on the improvement of environmental performance rather than the improvement of the management system itself.
ISO 14001:2015 is aimed to be used by an organization seeking to manage its responsibilities in a unique environmental sustainable manner that requires certificate holders to specify risks and opportunities and how to address them.
The basic principles of ISO 14001 are based on:
– Objectives Establishment
– Processes Implementation
– Processes Measurement and Monitoring Results
– Performance Improvement Action
– Continual Improvement Process
Benefits of ISO 14001 Certification
- Assisting organizations with a framework for better management control, improving corporate image;
- Strategic investment results in reducing companies environmental impacts;
- Higher conformance with legislative and regulatory requirements;
- Improving organization’s efficiency, reducing the risk of regulatory and environmental liabilities fines;
- Minimizing operating costs by reduction in waste, consumption of resources;
- Reducing energy consumption, hazards and accidents;
- Competitive advantage over international trade barriers,
- Significant business operating globally as an international recognized Standard, demolishing the need for multiple registrations or certification;
- Improvement in management responsibilities & commitment to EMS concerns and precise approach to customers, employees, shareholders and the society;
- Tremendous increase in business’s access to new customers and business partners